Thursday, March 29, 2012

Nanjing

I will try to make this post about Nanjing. :)

But first - Willem, of course!  He counts!  I'm not sure how far he can count, but he is for sure counting.  He was  pulling out puzzle pieces and putting them on the floor and counting as he was doing it.  I recognized the first 3 numbers and went, "Wow!  He's counting, Meikiina!"  So Mei pulled up a video of Chinese counting and he was counting along with it.  He is also talking, alot!  He's talking in Chinese which I have been trying to catch on video, but it's hard because of course if I pull out the camera he stops what he's doing.  He is also repeating lots of English words.

Then I have to mention this about his grieving.  Yes, it breaks my heart that he grieves. But to see him grieve lets me know that he was loved by someone and loved someone back.  That is a good thing. His attachment to us will come much easier. 

Also, his 'naughtiness' if I can even call it that. Even as I blog about it, know that I am happy to see it.  For one thing we just totally enjoy it and have gotten many laughs.  But another, to see him doing what he is doing lets me know that he is quite a normal 3 year old boy.

And one more thing, I got my first kisses today from my son!  

NANJING

Nanjing is a very interesting city with a lot of old history. It has been the capital city of China several times, going back and forth between Nanjing and Beijing. 

We didn't do a lot of touring here.  Willem got sick in the (brand new) car of the driver on the way to his adoption formalization and all of a sudden it was decided that we would not be going on the tour the one day that we had planned.  That was ok as it have us a lot of time to spend at or near the hotel to get to know Willem. We do did a walking tour, which was interesting.  We walked to the Confucius Temple area real near the hotel and heard a lot of history on the area.  Confucius was the great philosopher and educator of ancient China.

Confucius Temple
It's back there behind the year of the dragon decorations.

 It's the year of the dragon this year, so we saw a lot of dragon decorations.

 Statue of a merchant who traveled far and wide. 
In the front container he carried toys. 
The back one that you can't see all the way is locked. That one held valuables. 
 This represents the Jiangnan Examination School where imperial exams were given.
The Confucius Temple was first constructed in 1034 to complement this school as a place for the scholars to come to pray for success and demonstrate their respect for Confucius.
The school was used to administer civil service exams used to choose officials during the imperial age in China.  At one time the complex contained over 20,000 examination cells.  Each cell was just one square meter in area. The scholar spent a total of 9 days in the cell without being able to leave.  The wooden plank turned into a bed at night.  You had to pass two other very rigorous exams to even get here, and then very few of the candidates passed this exam.
Below is a picture of the over 20,000 examination rooms.

Below ~ Scenery around the Confucius Temple area - most of which I will not have time right now to comment about. 


 The 'Good Luck' tree.




 On this wall were figures of many famous people - Confucius, etc.  
These looking forward were the Geisha Ladies (see below).

 Qin Huai River
Interesting bit of history.  
On the left in this picture is the Confucius Temple area that I've talked about where all the (men) scholars were taking their exams.
On the right is where many Geisha Ladies lived.  
These were ladies with various artistic abilities - painting, music, etc.
They each were not allowed to cross to the other side of the river.
As our guide said, there were many sad love stories here.



3 comments:

Mike and Kathy Perry said...

So cool to see the same sites we saw when we were there. We also did a walking tour. Who is your guide? Is it Lily?

Tammy said...

Oh Kristin...WOW...you have HIM....He is so precious as you all are. Thank you soooo muuh for letting me know that you are in China.
praying that each day drawls in him closer and that he folds right in EASY!!!!!!

Blessings
Tammy
beavoice

Darla said...

I love your perspective, something that your motherhood experience has given you an abundance of (deep perspective)..to be able to put his grieving like you have makes me realize so many things I would never have thought of..to know he was loved and cared for deeply enough that he grieves for it also gives great comfort to know that some of those essential times of bonding that all babies need was developed in him. That helps ensure continued healthy bonding now with you... And to get your first kisses!!! I think you've had me in tears every day now! :D give Meikiina and Willem huge hugs from me!