Wednesday, March 28, 2012

More About Willem

Well, I said Nanjing next, but just have to get a few things down about Willem.

So this is our 3rd day with Willem.  He's amazing.  Wait I think I may have said that before. 

First I have to talk about a mama's worries of her child.  The day we got Willem was Monday.  He didn't make a sound.  He whimpered a bit but didn't even cry really.  He was just very, very sad looking.  Broke this mama's heart.  

We brought him back to the hotel and played and as I said we got smiles and even a giggle.  But not a sound, except maybe a humming sound.  That night I went to sleep thinking of him, of course.  And I woke up in the middle of the night and all of a sudden was so worried cuz I hadn't heard him say a word. Not really even a sound, just the humming.  Maybe this was an exaggerated worry an unrealistic middle of the night worry that a parent might have? But it just hit me - what if he's deaf! Like I said it was the middle of the night.  But I laid awake there for the rest of the night worried sick, that what if he can't hear.  I knew he was my son, but it just really hit me. So in the morning I did some testing to see if he could hear, and of course he could.  But he still didn't talk.  So when we went in for the formal adoption, I had the guide ask them if he could talk at all.  They said, "Oh, yes, he can talk.  He will say many words and says up to maybe 3 word sentences." So that made me feel better and then when the people from the orphanage were leaving, Willem was watching from the window pointing at them and said a full sentence, or I'm assuming it was.  I couldn't understand anything except the first word - Baba. They told me that in his area they don't speak Mandarin or Cantonese, but a local dialect. Anyway that made me feel much better. 

Now, he is still not talking alot, but is for sure talking and we have even heard him say a few English things he's picked up on.  He has a 'Big Bird' book that he loves and he brought the book to me today and told me 'Big Bird'.  And then he was doing something with Meikiina and she said 'Woa' and he repeated it after her.

Yesterday when he woke up from his nap, again he was so sad looking and lip quivering. I picked him up and he started crying.  He doesn't cry loud, but has the softest most heart breaking cry.  He cried and grieved for about 20 minutes just clinging to me. And of course I was crying along with him a bit.  Just so sad.  You could tell he was so missing someone.  Then he was ok and back to his smiley self.  When I put him to bed last night and again this afternoon nap, you can tell he is thinking and is so sad.  Waahh...  Makes me cry for what I'm doing. I know it will be better, but it's all he's known.

During the day today I think we are seeing the true little boy he is.  He loves to throw things and gets this little grin on his face and a gleam in his eye right before he does it.  Also, as I've said, he loves to draw.  Well, he draws on the paper and then looks up at me and gives that little grin and puts the pen on his hand, with the look on his face, of look at me, I'm gonna draw on my hand. :)  He's going after everything!  He's reaching for everything, pushing every button he can find, opening every drawer to see what he can throw out, and all with a grin on his face.

I know he was given lots of attention.  He has been read to and knows what a book is and likes to turn the pages himself.  Makes the book real easy to read. :)  He has had his body and his feet lotioned. He wants me to put lotion on his hands (both hands thank you very much!) and then he rubs it on his legs and his feet.  He's very chunky so I know he's had lots to eat, but just like his paperwork said, he loves to share his food with his mama.  And he's so proud when he does. He is a super cuddle bug.  He just cuddles right into me when I'm holding him before naps or night or just anytime I pick him up for a hug.  I feel very fortunate because I know there are other children from this orphanage that have not received the attention that I'm sure he has.

I started this post this morning and am now adding in the evening.  We went down to the mall for a treat for Meikiina and we were standing watching the fountain display.  Above the display there's a huge TV screen. Of course that caught Willem's eye and he pointed to it and said something.  I told him that's a TV. He repeated it after me many times.  It's interesting because the words he's now saying sound like they are coming from a 'rusty pipe'. I don't know how to describe it, but it was the same with Brynlee.  It was like they didn't use their voice so they don't know how to make the sounds.  I don't know.  But he is for sure starting to mimic words.  He also loves the water and says 'water' when he sees it.

Here's a bunch of pictures I took today.

 So sad when I wake up. :(

The handsome dude!








 I just threw my sister's pizza across the table, my cookie across the table, my napkin across the table, dropped my water cup on the floor and now you're telling me I can't have your glass plate!
One of my favorite things to do - flush the toilet 50 times in a row. 

8 comments:

Darla said...

Wow, what a cutie he is! And he sounds like he is doing some pretty normal stuff for his age..I could just imagine Johan doing that same stuff, throwing things with a big grin..but still at such of a tender age too where they still love the comfort of cuddling in...still will have moments that, no matter how safe and secure and profoundly loved by you they feel, they still have to grieve the loss of their old life. He will thank you some day for the home and family you gave him though and I know he will be so happy to be a part of your family. He's a lucky little guy!

Joni said...

So fun to read your posts! What a charmer, he is!! I sure can see that he has a 'gleam in his eye'! Welcome to the world of sons! :) He'll keep you on your toes, from the sounds of it - but it's so refreshing in a way, to see all that energy!

I'm sure seeing him grieve is as hard on you as it is hard on him to have something to grieve. But is sure sounds like he's doing well! Sounds like you're all doing well! Makes me wish (again) that we could adopt some special little child! Keep on posting - we're all loving it! :) Hi to Meikiina!

kristin said...

Thank you sisters. Hi back from Meikiina. We are totally enjoying his 'naughtiness'. I am so glad to see it. I do think he got a lot of attention and for me to see him do things like that, well makes us laugh, but also lets me know that he is very normal.

Joni said...

I was just looking at these pictures again- and there's something about his expression and profile in the last picture from the restaurant (2nd last picture you posted) - he LOOKS LIKE some of his cousins!! Do you see some similar looks to Aleksi, maybe? Or who is it? Maybe even something like Cole ... So fun to see!! He was meant to be in this extended family!!

kristin said...

Funny you should say that Joni. I thought so too, but didn't know who. Look also at the picture where he and Mei are making the funny smiles.

Mike and Kathy Perry said...

What a sweet boy! I'm SO glad he has obviously had so much attention! That will make a HUGE difference in his ability to learn so many new things! And that is VERY interesting about the language. We have been saying our Kimi didn't ever hear any language because she had no understanding of Mandarin while in China. But perhaps they only spoke the local dialect you mentioned! Sounds like Willem is catching onto English FAST! What a sweetie!!

Myra said...

Oh my....what a doll indeed!! I'm sure you've heard how Chinese people from a certain area have a "look"...I swear I see my baby Sammy in Willem....I feel so nostalgic seeing you Nanjing pics and the orphange staff!!! SOOOOOO happy for you!!! I'll have to send you pics of Sam when your home so you can see the similarities too!!! CONGRATS!!!!

Myra (mamma to Will and Sam from Huaian)

kristin said...

Kathy - Yes, it could be that Kimi had only heard the local dialect. Willem is for sure talking, now today alot! But he doesn't really respond to people that talk to him. It may be just that he doesn't know them, I don't know. So I'm thinking he's talking something other than Mandarin and most probably the dialect they said. Now today, he's also trying to repeat a lot of what we say.

Myra - Yes I agree there are for sure certain looks in certain areas. I would love to see more pictures of your Sammy.

Thank you both! And hopefully you'll see my comment here.