Friday, July 03, 2009

Friday

This morning for the very first time ever, Meikiina made a comment about her birth mother. When she was coming out of the shower, she said, "I wonder what my birth mother is doing right now." I said, "I do too, I wonder what she is doing. What do you think she is doing?" Meikiina said, "Maybe she is making me a card." I told her, "I bet she is. I do know that she is thinking about you. I know she thinks about you alot and is remembering you specially on your birthday." She was so happy.

When I was telling Melissa our story from the evening before about what Meikiina had said about all the places she wants to live and why, she said, "She's not feeling very brave, is she?" And Melissa was right, she doesn't feel very brave.

Tonight we talked about when we got Rascal. He was found on the side of the road and then we took him into our family. He had been with several people before us and was a bit scared. We had to work very hard with him to get him to trust us and to love us. Rascal also worked very hard to learn to trust and love us. When he finally figured out that he was ours, he loved us so much - we were for sure in his heart. He is also still in all of our hearts.

We did a project tonight to show who is in our heart. We talked about how there are many people in our life, but some of these people we hold in our heart. Our project was to show who was in our heart. So each of us drew pictures of who we hold in our hearts. Meikiina drew all her special people on one side of her sheet and then turned her sheet over and drew a heart and put her special people in the heart. Then on the side of the big heart she drew a black heart and colored it in. Melissa asked about that one. Meikiina said all the people that didn't fit in the other heart are in that one, like her birthfamily. We then talked about what happens if someone passes away, or if someone is angry, etc. Do they stay in your heart or do they have to leave. And what if someone joins the family, does the heart get crowded, is there less room? No, it grows and we can fit them in our heart too and it doesn't make any less room for the people that were in there before.

2 comments:

Darla said...

Wow, you're amazing how you can tie so much of her past into stories and even into Rascal's story. Rascal was an important figure in her life, so that is so neat that she has that history to share with him.

kristin said...

The story telling is called 'Narrative Therapy.' Sometimes it's hard for them to hear their story as them. Often I will tell her her story as someone elses story. It doesn't hurt so much that way or something.