Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Tuesday

Very interesting evening! First - we got there late because traffic had been cut down to 1 lane on part of 94 and Gregg got stuck in that. But when we finally got there, Meikiina had an IQ test done while we were in with Melissa. Not sure when we will find the results of that. We talked about the evening before and today and what we would talk about in our group.

Then Melissa went over the test that she had done with Gregg and me about Meikiina. This is the chronological age test. You can tell pretty much I think what each would represent. For example in communication - receptive and expressive are communication she uses to listen and talk. She scored at chronological age (which means years of age) in each category as follows:

Communication
Receptive - 11y 0m (chronological age years and months)
Expressive - 10y 6m
Written - 8y 0m

Daily Living Skills
Personal - 5y 11m *
Domestic - 10y 5m
Community - 9y 10m

Socialization
Interpersonal Relationships - 11y 3m
Play and Leisure time - 10y 6 m
Coping Skills - 8y 6m

Maladaptive Behavior Index
Internalizing - Elevated
Externalizing - Elevated

Edited: I'm not sure what happend here. I had a note for the * and I just noticed that it is not here. The reason she scored lower here is because she does not like to brush her hair or wash her face, etc. The reason she doesn't is because I believe she has some sensory issues and is extra sensitive in these two areas.

I am not surprised really. It proves more to me that she is very smart and what is going on in school is not normal.

In group we kind of sat around a bit and Meikiina was feeding Dorothy and then she said, "Well, are we having stories?" So we told stories. We told about working really hard to learn something, and keeping on trying until we mastered it. Gregg and I both told about learning to tie our shoes and learning to ride our bikes.

Some comments she made tonight. I called her sweetheart. She has had a real hard time hearing this from people, especially from Gregg. She has said, "You can't call me that!" Melissa has suggested that maybe she thinks that she doesn't have a sweet heart. Both Gregg and I said, "Yes, that's what it is." We had never thought of that before. Well, anyway when I used the term 'sweetheart' in a sentence tonight, I then said, "You are a sweetheart, you know!" She answered me, "Yes, I am, cuz I have a sweet heart." Yes! :-) I told her, "You sure do have a sweet heart."

Later when we were doing our cuddle time, she wanted to be in control of the situation. I kind of wasn't letting her and she really didn't like that. But after I was telling her what a good person she is and she said, "No, I'm a bad person!" I asked her why she thought she was a bad person and she couldn't or wouldn't tell me. I tried to tell her over and over that she is a good person, but she wasn't receptive to that.

After cuddle time, Meikiina told me that she has an idea. I asked her what her idea was and she said, "When we go to Walmart next maybe we could buy some babyfood." I told her that I thought that was a good idea. She said I could feed her like a baby. I agreed and then she said that she likes me to treat her like a baby, but she doesn't always want me to treat her like a baby, like she doesn't want me to talk to her like she's a baby all day or anything like that. I asked her if she likes it just at times like we've been doing, I cuddle with her and let her be my baby. She said that that is a good amount of time.

2 comments:

Darla said...

Rigiht when I read the part about her getting her IQ test, I thought, "Bet she's gonna score high!" Then reading on, you can tell by how she scored that she is really accelerated. I'm so glad you are comfortable sharing all this 'cause it is just so neat to read this and understand all that is going on. Wanna know something funny/weird? My two that I sometimes have behavioral issues with, the two that tend to get into trouble a bit (you know the two of whom speak, I'm sure:) ), they wouldn't let me call them dear or honey or sweetheart or anything like that, couldn't stand when I would tell them I love them, they could only sometimes muster out a, "I like you too, Mom!"...well, now when I've had the opportunity to have them around me a bit more and work on affection, I've noticed both of them coming to plop in my lap (something they never would do), snuggling in, and now, after much time of me making a conscious effort to show affection to them, they've both started to slowly warm up to affection to the point they both will come give me hugs and even KISSES (NEVER would have done that), they say I love you...amazing! I know it's different circumstances but still similar situation! I'm not sure if this made any sense but I keep getting a kajillion interruptions in here... :)

kristin said...

Now, this one wasn't her IQ test. Just wait til I publish the 2 days that I talk about her IQ test. It blows me away. This test is basically all the stuff she has learned at home where she can totally relax and allow her mind to be open and accept info in.

I'm so excited to hear you talk about your 2 and how they are accepting affection more. I can see it in them too, the change. It's great, isn't it? Keep on working on it. It's hard, but so worth it.

I totally understood what you were saying.