Sunday, April 19, 2015

The next part of the story...

This is a long post.

We were just minutes from landing in Fuzhou and our flight was not cleared for landing due to a storm. Our flight was scheduled to land at 12:35 am Friday Fuzhou time and it was already a bit later than that when we heard the announcement that we were not cleared to land there but that we were to land in Xiamen City, which is about 160 miles south of Fuzhou.  We landed there about 1:30 am.  After we landed I was quite worried because I didn’t totally understand all the announcements, although they were also said in English.  I turned around and tried to ask the flight attendant what is going on.  She didn’t understand me, but a girl behind me started talking to me.

My phone had died by this time of course so I didn’t know what to do. I had someone waiting at the airport in Fuzhou to pick me up, but I thought for sure that it would be announced in Fuzhou and she wouldn’t wait there.  The people around me could tell I was worried and many people started offering that they could call someone for me if I needed them to.  I do have a China in-country contact so I had someone try to call her so that she could contact my American agency so that they would know I did not get to where I needed to be.  Several people tried and her phone was powered off. So we got off the plane and the one girl stayed with me and talked me through everything that was going on.  I found out that she was from China, but lives in Fargo, ND. She’s been going to college there for four years.  I will call her Cindy.  She was so nice and so helpful.  I kept on apologizing and she kept telling me that when she came to America everyone was so nice and so helpful to her that she wants to help me in her country.

By this time we had made it to baggage claim and I had found out that they were going to bus us to a hotel.  While were waiting for our luggage Cindy offered that she could call my US agency and let them know.  She tried but we couldn’t get through to them either.  While we were waiting for the bus we were told that they would have a flight for all of us into Fuzhou the next day leaving at 2:30 pm.  But they also said that because it was not a scheduled flight it could be bumped several times before it actually leaves.  I was a little bummed because I really wanted a full day to just relax and get organized before we met Bennett.  While we were on the bus ride Cindy told me that she decided she is going leave the hotel at 6:00 am the next morning to take a train into Fuzhou as she had a church function at 9:00 the next morning which was the reason that she was going to Fuzhou.  She really wanted to make it there and did not want to wait for the flight.  I told her that I had no Chinese money yet as I hadn’t changed any over yet. She told me she would pay for the train, that I didn’t have to worry about it.  I told her that I really needed to try to get ahold of someone at my agency and that I would let her know if I was to come or not.

We got to the hotel and were waiting to get a room and of course I am talking English with Cindy and this young Chinese man came up to me and asked me in English what state I am from.  I told him and he introduced himself as Brenden and told me he has lived in the US for the last 20 years and was coming to Fuzhou for a visit. We didn’t talk much more than that.

We finally got into our hotel room about 3:00 am. I frantically searched for my adapters so I could get my phone charged up and turned on my lap top to try get on the computer. I kept trying to call my China contact, but being as it was the middle of the night her phone was off.  I finally figured out how to call my agency in the US and told them my predicament and told them about the offer to take the train.  We had a hurried conference, with 2 people there and me and discussed it.  They really fast did some research, looked up train prices and it was very reasonable (about $12 a ticket) and about how long it would take (an hour and a half). I asked what they thought, is it something they just would not recommend that I do-take the train like this. They asked me what I felt about the girl. I really had a good feeling about her. Really I did.  She was just so helpful and tried so hard every way she could think of to contact someone for me. So now – what to do. Wait for the plane and pay no extra money and not know what time I get to Fuzhou or take the train with someone that I had just met, but felt really good about.  One of the ladies said, you know if it was me and I was there I would take the train.  She has been here many times and I also have great trust in her. So I said I will take the train. With that plan made, they said they would contact the China coordinator and make sure my China guide and driver would be at the train station to meet me. By this time it was about 4:30 am. We put a note under Cindy’s door to tell her that we were going to come with her on the train. 

I knew I couldn’t go to sleep because I knew I would not wake up so I rearranged the 3 suitcases we had into 2 suitcases, by putting the smallest suitcase into the biggest one and the fitting everything together into the 2 remaining suitcases.  I thought it would be easier pulling 2 heavier suitcases than 3.  By now it’s about 5:30 am and we just sat on the beds and chatted. 

About 5:45 Cindy comes to the door and says she changed her mind that she is going to take the plane. What!  She said not to worry that 4 others are still taking the train and that I could go with them.  She said they don’t know English, but they would help me. Whoa!  Now what do I do! I told her but I don’t know them at all.  She said it’s ok.  They are very good people and I can trust them, they will help.  Well if you know me at all you will know that I do not make snap decisions. Well this night I was making them left and right.  So now plans were in place that I would take the train and my guide and driver would be at the train station waiting for me.  So I said ok. I thought I would run down to the desk and see the people.  She quickly traded me some US money for Chinese money and I ran. Well, I got down to the front desk and who is there but Brenden and an older woman and another young couple.  Brenden right away started chattering and I was ok.  The older woman has also lived in America for many years.  Wow!  I was still a bit nervous but ok too. 

I know a lot of people will say I am crazy! And you know if I was hearing this story from someone else I would say they are crazy and there’s no way I would do that!  There’s no way! Please don’t judge me. Decisions had to be made and I was making them as I felt called to make them.  And to tell you the truth I have never felt unsafe in this country. I have done a lot of walking around and exploring and really don’t ever have a bad feeling from the people here.  They are so friendly and curious about me when I’m here. 

So we were going by train. The group already had a car ready to take us to the train station.  But I got there with my huge luggage and they knew right away that we wouldn’t fit.  So a taxi was called and we split into 2 groups and off we went.  We got to the train station and Brenden took charge and got our tickets and refused to let me pay for the taxi. The other gentleman said we are going to get breakfast and he asked me if I want any.  I said no that I don’t need any.  Well, he went and came back with breakfast from KFC for both Brynlee and me and would not take any money.  None of them would let Brynlee pull a suitcase and they all watched out for her so that she (poor tired little girl that she was) stayed real close to us. Speaking of Brynlee, she has been a trooper through it all! She has been a great little travel companion. 

We got to the train and found out it is a bullet train! I wish I would have taken a picture of the train but I didn’t think to.  Now, the airports here are different. You don’t board your plane straight from the terminal like we do in the US. They tell you it’s time to board and you go outside and get on a no-seated bus and hold onto a pole and away you go to the plane.  Same with when you land.  You get off the plane and get on a bus and ride standing up to the terminal.  Brynlee asked me, ‘So are we going to stand the whole way?’ I told her that I’m sure there are seats. I hoped there were.  So when we saw the train, she was very excited to see nice comfy seats. This train goes very fast. 

On the train, Brynlee and I sat next to the older woman.  She didn’t speak English (although she has lived in America for many years) but she just got a kick out of Brynlee. Our self-appointed guide sat across the aisle and chattered away.  He told me about his kids and all kinds of things.  While we were on the train this group even called my in-China coordinator to make sure that someone would be there to meet me when I got there and told me that they would wait until someone was there to pick me up and then we would part.  I asked over and over, what can I do? What can I pay? They wouldn’t take anything from me!

The trip took about an hour and a half. We got there and one of the group was calling my guide right away to see where she was. We found each other and they still did not part, until they had hauled my luggage, got it into the car and made sure we were on our way.

So that is the rest of that part of this story. Once again I am amazed and humbled by the people on this adoption journey I have been on.


I’ll post photos in a separate post that we took while on the train.

2 comments:

Joni said...

Whew! My nerves would be rattled! But I have to assure you that I, at least, sure do not think you were making unwise decisions. Not at all! Things fell into place with nice helpful people at your side. You and Brynlee were taken care of!

Tonya M. said...

That sounds very stressful! But I would have done the same thing. Luckily you had nice people there to help you out.