The couple hours after our walk had
to be the longest hours of my life. Well, since the last time I was waiting for
a child anyway. But finally, the moment came that I had waited for for oh, so
long. The time had come to walk down to
the room where we would meet Bennett.
Oh, the excitement and anticipation in the room as we watched all the families
gathering in the room. Each family probably
a bit nervous and a lot excited. We waited and watched and finally Bennett
walked in - at 3:22 pm on Sunday afternoon, April 19th, 2015.
He was quite
scared when they brought him in but you could tell that they had shown him my
pictures as he seemed to 'know' me. He didn't want to come too close though,
until I brought out a truck and the fish crackers. Then he warmed up a bit. We played trucks and
I fed him fish crackers and water as we did a bit of bonding. Then I had a few papers we had to sign.
Although we get to
take our child with us the day we meet them, we don’t officially adopt them
until the next day. We are given a period of time to make sure that we really
want to adopt this child. Because he was
not officially mine I had to have permission from the orphanage to have him in
my care until the next day. So we signed
papers and we were free to go to our room for a bit.
The crackers were
a big hit. And they ran out about the time we were leaving the room. I asked the guide to tell him I will get him
more crackers and he decided he could follow us. When we got to the room, he
got his crackers and filled his little arms with as many toys as he could and
turned around to go for the door. Poor
little guy.
We had a bit of time in the room and
then had a few more adoption related things to do so we left for a bit. He was
pretty pensive and looking around, like where are we going and what’s happening
to me as we are driving around. When we
got back he was still a bit scared at first. Then he warmed up and played with
his toys and ran around the room. He looked in everything, picked up everything
from the floor and put it away in cupboards, closets, or suitcases. We had a
lot of fun and he was pretty happy by night time.
When it came time to go to sleep he
was so sad that first night. He didn’t want to go in the crib and didn’t want
to lie down on the bed. I rocked him in my arms and sang to him for a long time
and then lay down on the bed with him and held him in my arms. He cried so hard for about 2 minutes then
relaxed and fell asleep after a bit. And
so that was our first Bennett day.
No comments:
Post a Comment