Baby Bee is almost 6 years old! Today we brought her in to visit our favorite doctor, Dr. Benson. I love to visit Dr. Benson. He's just the sweetest doctor. I could switch the girls to our clinic here in our little town, but I like for him to see the girls so much that I drive the 40 miles (one way) just so we can continue to see him.
Now, Bee was not quite as sure that she wanted to be excited. She remembered from last year that Dr. Benson said she would need another blood draw this year to check her lead level. And she does not like blood draws! Who can blame her. The poor thing has had enough of them in her little life to last a life time.
We had an early appointment, so I was up and ready before the girls got up. But Bee was awake for a long time talking in her bed before she got up at 7:00. Thinking about her appointment? Tonight when I was tucking her in I mentioned something about her talking this morning in bed and M asked who she was talking to. I told M that she was just talking to herself. Bee looked up at me with great surprise and said, "No, I wasn't talking to myself." I said, "You weren't? Who were you talking to?" She said, "I made up some friends and I was talking to them!" Oh - ok! So we talked about imaginary friends and M remembered her imaginary friends from years past. Hers were named Meeka and Doodoo. They lived with us for a long time, and still every once in a while come back for a visit.
We got to the clinic and checked in and then had to sit for quite some time before we got in, but that was ok. I had time to just sit and hold Bee and chatter. It seems there's never enough time to do enough of that. We both enjoyed that. She did ask me, "Mom are you going to come in that room with me?" So a bit of worry showing. I assured her that I would be with her the whole time. When we finally got called, Bee got weighed and measured and had a vision and hearing test. She passed both eyes/ears with a perfect score. Sometimes I'd swear that she is extremely hard of hearing. Truly, kinda, but then I'll do the Brynlee, do you want a piece of chocolate? test from across the house and she hears that every time! :-) We also got a tour of the new clinic. I hadn't seen it yet. I really liked it. Then we chattered some more waiting for Dr. Benson.
Dr. Benson arrived and we got to chat with him. He told us that Bee had grown 2 1/4" in the last year and is now 43 3/4" tall, and had gained 5 pounds bringing her up to 42 pounds 4 ounces. She is 25th percentile for height and 35th percentile for weight, with a BMI of 55%. She's following her growth curve really well. Dr. Benson did hear a heart murmer still, which means that she does still have a VSD. We will be bringing her in to the Children's Heart Clinic to see a pediatric cardiologist in the summer so we will see exactly how her heart is doing there. We chattered about a whole bunch of things, like school, activities, food, and all of that.
Finally we came to the much feared part of the visit. We had to go to the lab for the dreaded blood test. She has to have a blood draw because the state won't accept a finger poke for a lead check. First they put her up in the blood draw chair (they've always laid her down before and I hug her from above) and I kinda thought ah, this might not work. But the lady asked me how we usually do it and I told her she's usually laying down, but I could probably hold her in the chair. That worked really well. I hugged her from behind and held her face away from what they were doing. They told her that her only job is to hold her arm really still and not pull it away when she feels the poke. When the poke came she had 2 tears come down her cheeks, but she didn't cry out and didn't wiggle. They were so proud of her and so was I! As we were walking out she asked, "Did I do good, Mom?" You did good baby, you did good!
We ended our excursion as we always try to - with a trip to McDonald's for an ice cream treat.
I took out the camera to take a picture of her when we got back - she looked so cute in her doctor visit outfit, and the batteries were dead! So no picture. She also asked me if I would take a picture of her with Jia. She is still very cautious of puppy, so I was excited that she wanted her picture taken with her, but alas no picture of that either.
No comments:
Post a Comment