Thursday, March 26, 2009

Baby Poems

I love this poem and saw part of it again in an email, so did a search on it and stumbled across this version and had to post it here. I do try so hard to remember to love my babies in the moment and enjoy each moment of their baby years. My babies are still young, but I often think back to when Meikiina was an infant in my arms and truly wonder how these past years have gone so fast. I know the years ahead will be gone in a blink of an eye too.
Babies Don't Keep
Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.
The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
- Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've discovered your blog now, so beware! I'll be peeking at it on a fairly regular basis! One of these days I will also start one. It would be great for just documenting life. I love, love, love the poem here. I hope you don't mind, I copied it. I like to print this type thing sometimes, and put it on the fridge - just a good reminder to myself what's really important. Maybe my mess here won't bug me so much today as it did yesterday!

kristin said...

No, I don't mind at all. That's good if it has meaning to someone else. I've always really liked it. I would really like to try just blog some life here. I journaled a lot until I got home with B, and haven't journaled a word since then.