Sunday, March 20, 2011

Have I Switched to the China Program!

Edited to correct my 'Dear CCAA' letter.  I missed  a paragraph when I copied it in originally.


Thursday and Friday I rushed through getting a list of documents filled out, written up, and notarized so that I could be ready to accept and lock a child's file if one came up. 

Actually I rushed through all this paperwork for a specific little boy.  He has a heart condition, but as I had his file reviewed by the international adoption clinic here in state, and learned more and more about his condition I agonized over whether I could accept his file and lock him to adopt him.  I prayed and researched and finally this morning I told CHI that with a very heavy heart I have to say I cannot lock this child.  Tonight I looked him up and I see that he has been locked.  I am happy for him that he will have a family to bring him home and help heal his heart as well as it can be healed.  He was so cute and looked like quite the little stinker.

The list of items I needed to compile is listed here and I had to get them ready as quickly as I could as they need to be translated into Chinese in order to lock the file so that no one else can claim the child.

  1. Previous home study
  2. Medical form filled out and notarized by my doctor (saw the doctor on Friday for this)
  3. Passport sized photo (I can get them taken for free at work)
  4. Family photo (see our family:)
  5. Nurture plan (Letter of Intent (LOI) and Dear CCAA Letter-both explained in more detail below)
  6. Financial statement of Net worth - notarized

They were very impressed with how fast I got these together.  I am very lucky in that our work place has notaries in various areas in the building and I just happen to work with one of them.  This same wonderful lady that is notarizing my documents for this adoption notarized all my documents for Bee. 

I got through all of these documents and got them to CHI.  So even though I did not lock that sweet child's file I am ready for the next one.  There is one document I have to change a few things to be specific to a child, but other than that I am ready and can quickly lock in a file for a child if one comes up that is within parameters that are comfortable for me.

It seems so crass and cruel to talk about things like parameters, and locking a file, and comfortable...  But as I agonized, I emailed the two wonderful ladies at CHI apologizing for asking so many questions and taking time to think and research.  One of them emailed back and said (paraphrasing), "Don't apologize. You are asking wonderful questions.  We promised you when you started that we would be here with you as you make this journey.  You are crossing a bridge that will make that child YOURS forever, and only you will know if you should be the mother to that child." 

I know that I could be a mama to these children, how could I not love them-any one of them?  I've fallen in love with many of them in this last week since I've known that I again have the option of adopting from China.  But knowing that I have to work-realistically would I have the time to be able to care for a child with more major special needs?  If I adopt a child then I have to know that what I can give is fair and healthy for that child. 

Here is the 'Dear CCAA' letter that I wrote.  When (if) I am so blessed with a child from China then I will post the LOI for that specific child as a separate post.

March 18, 2011

Dear China Center for Adoption Affairs (CCAA):

I, xxx born xxx in xxx, USA, deeply desire to adopt another child from the People’s Republic of China.

I had a dream for many years to adopt children from China. I always had a special respect for China and really felt that was where my children were. My dream was partially realized in 2002 when I was honored by being allowed to adopt my oldest daughter from China. I was greatly honored a second time in 2005 when I was able to adopt another daughter, a precious little sister. Now I dream that I would be so blessed to adopt a son, a little brother for my daughters. I would like to be considered to adopt a boy with a special need.

I  promise I will love this child as if he were my biological son.  I will provide him with every opportunity to develop his talents and complete an education. I will continue to learn about China and will take great pleasure in helping this child learn of and appreciate Chinese culture and give him opportunities to connect with his Chinese heritage.  I will provide for all his physical and emotional needs and will raise this child with all the rights of a birth child.  I will ensure that this child will be properly raised and will ensure that he will have the best medical care so that he can grow healthy.  I will cherish and love this child as if he were born of me.  I promise that I will never harm or abuse him nor allow him to be harmed or abused.  I also promise never to abandon him and to care for him throughout his life as my child.

Further, I promise to complete timely post adoption reports with pictures at both six months and twelve months as required by the CCAA.

I look forward to finding my son and truly appreciate your help. Thank you very much for giving me the opportunity to take this journey to become a family.

Sincerely and with the greatest respect,
xxxx

I think I've switched to the China program - what do you think?  :)

2 comments:

Joni said...

I love accompanying you along your adoption journey! Yes, it seems you've decided to adopt from China, so that is where you have a child waiting, who is meant to be yours! Can't wait to hear the next update!!

Joni said...

By the way, I LOVE the picture of you and the girls!!!