Sunday, May 09, 2010

Adoption Day and Mothers Day!

I thought this appropriate for this special day.

Dear Sweet Daughter:

As a girl I had a common dream, to be a mom someday. My baby would have eyes of blue and hair the hue of hay.

But now my dreams have been transformed. New visions fill my head. Now the tresses that I long to stroke are raven black instead.

And in my dreams those eyes are not so big or blue or round. Now in my dreams they’re almond shaped and colored cocoa brown.

And in my dreams my arms can stretch across enormous seas. They reach half-way around the world and hold you close to me.

As you grow in your mother’s womb, carefully knit together, you’re also growing in my heart, where you will stay forever.

And in my dreams the moment that your mother says good-bye, I’ll be right there to comfort you and hold you as you cry.

Our features may not look alike: we’re different as can be. But still I know the Father has created you for me.

And though I’ve not yet seen your face, or hold your tiny hands, and though we’re half a world apart in very different lands,

I’ll be right there to get you just as soon as God allows. But ‘til He says the time is right I give to you this vow.

I’ll pray for your protection every day on bended knee. For God to hold you in His arms, until you’re here with me.
 Written by: Gayle Leubecker

Today is Mother's Day and what an extra special Mother's Day it is.  Today is also adoption day.  Happy Adoption Day to my oldest daughter!  Eight years ago I celebrated my first Mother's Day in China with you in my arms, my special daughter.

Today started out with a nice breakfast as the weekends often do now.  Dad makes breakfast for us on the weekends usually.  Often a breakfast consists of hash browns, bacon or sausage, and English muffins or some variation that is close to this.  I sure enjoy these special meals and especially today. 

Today I had some me time at home alone.  The others made 2 store visits today leaving me at home to relax. Then the afternoon we had fun with bubbles outside.  That is a different post for some day when I have time.  For our evening Mother's Day/Adoption Day meal we went to our local Chinese restaurant.  We love going there for more than one reason.  The food is so good, but it is also special because it is owned by a Chinese family.

This year for an adoption day gift I gave a book that I bought when I was in China all those years ago, a book about Hangzhou.  Hangzhou - the city where I was presented with my lovely daughter, the daughter who made me a mother.  When I gave it to her she asked that I write in it for her.  I wrote her this note.

My Dear (daughter) ~
This book was purchased special for you 8 years ago from, Hangzhou, the beautiful city I met you in. I hope you can enjoy learning from it some of the rich beauty of your heritage. 
Today is an extra special adoption day, because today is also Mother's Day.  Fate made me a woman, but you made me a mother.  Happy Adoption Day to my precious daughter! With love forever, Mama ~ May 9, 2010.

In ending this post ~
A song Pa, from Laura Ingalls Wilder, sang to his girls one evening:
Golden years are passing by,
Happy, happy golden years,
Passing on the wings of time,
These happy golden years.
Call them back as they go by,
Sweet their memories are,
Oh, improve them as they fly,
These happy golden years.

5 comments:

Joni said...

What a sweet post you wrote! I don't know why this hasn't appeared until today (well into June, tho' it's dated more than a month ago!) but it is just as sweet tho' it's several weeks after Mother's Day. You are such special, lovely mother to your two special, lovely daughters! I mean that - you really are! You are giving them so many precious gifts in life. A few of them being love, a forever family, an extended family who also adore them, many blessings in daily life (all they need for a comfortable life), as well as keeping their heritage as close to them as you can. Lucky girls. Lucky you. Lucky us!

kristin said...

Thank you, Joni! They really are special girls and I enjoy them more and more. That's not to say I didn't always. I guess each age is so special and fun cuz I sure enjoy thinking back to baby days too. The reason this didn't appear is because I started it on Mother's Day and just haven't had the time to finish it and post it. I have worked unbelievable hours for the last month.

I have another fun post that will be coming in the next day or so.

Darla said...

Well, am I ever glad I scrolled down just to make SURE I didn't miss a post (I keep my eye on my blog roll for any new posts) and here was one I missed all the way back from Mother's Day!!! I am quite certain my blog list didn't show this 'cause every time I have looked, it has just listed "Bee's Heart Visit" as your most current post!!! Hmph! Well, what a pleasant surprise to see this and sooooo neat to read your post. You have an extra special Mother's Day in many ways! :) CAn't wait to get together sometime...I think we're past due already, don't you? :)

Darla said...

Oh. I just read your reply to Joni's comment and see why I didn't see this on Mother's Day or around then. You started it but didn't finish it til recently. Whew, then I CAN trust my blog roll/post list thingy. :)

kristin said...

You're right Darla. Mother's Day is special in many ways for me. Yes, we have to get together. It is way past due!