Saturday, May 01, 2010

Bee's Heart Visit

We went to see the pediatric cardiologist today.  It was a good visit and very interesting.  Two years ago Bee had an Electrocardiogram done.  That is where there are EKG leads attached to all 4 extremities and 6 attached to the chest area.  This measures electrical activity of the heart.  It was interesting but didn't make much sense to me.  I just saw the typical graph that is familiar to most, of a heart beat.  I'm sure it looked different to the doctors but to me that's all I could see. 

This time, like the first time we went (2 days after we got back from China), she had an Echocardiogram done.  This measures sound waves to create a moving picture of the heart.  It's very similar to an ultrasound for a baby.  I'll never forget seeing little Ash moving around in that ultrasound, opening and closing her hands.  With the Echo I could plainly see Bee's heart, in red and blue.  I could see the 4 chambers and I could actually see the VSD (ventricular septal defect).  I could see where the blood was going from one ventricular chamber (on right in picture) to ventricular chamber on left.  Can you see where the doctor made a little line between the lower chambers?  That's where the VSD is.  It is 2mm in size, the same as when we went the first time.  But in relationship to what the size of her heart was at time of first Echo to what the size of her heart is now, the VSD is smaller.  Does that make sense?  He classified it as small/tiny.  She has no restrictions whatsoever, and we will go back again in 3 years. 
Little Bee was nervous of going.  She's been poked and blood drawn so much... I tried to reassure her that she would not get any hurts at this doctor, but she didn't believe me.  She asked me several times. "What if they have to do surgery?"  I kept telling her that they will not, but she was not convinced.  The most nerve wracking thing for me was getting to the clinic and getting out of the clinic.  It's in the city neighboring our state capital, and not my favorite place to drive.  But we left plenty early and did just fine. 

So one more doctor visit down and I got to spend the afternoon with my lovely younger daughter.  That's always a plus of any doctor visit, a special mom and daughter time.

I do so wish that I could somehow let her birth parents in China know that she is healthy and fine and so much loved.

3 comments:

Joni said...

Kind of interesting, hey? And so nice to know the dr. feels she's doing so well! I'm sure the afternoon was so fun for you both! Thinking of specialists, I finally brought K to a dr. (private pay) who is taking some action on her tummy issues. They'll do an ultrasound (have done one before, but she wants only this one certain dr. to do it) and she said we'll take the advice of the dr. that does that. She mentioned two possibilities - encopresis (which every dr. has diagnosed her with) and said that'd be years of care still. The other possibility she thought of is called Hirshsprungs Disease ?? - and tho' it's rare, at this point she does wonder if this is what she's dealing with. I hope not, but at least I hope we find answers now.

kristin said...

I of course had to look up both of the words. Interesting. I hope you find out what is wrong.

Darla said...

Oh so interesting. I had forgotten completely that she had this. Nice to see that it is, in essence, smaller.

Isn't that one-on-one time so nice? I pretty much never get that anymore but oftentimes just have a few at a time, which is nice too. :)