Saturday, September 19, 2009

Oh, how I miss my mom today.

I don't know why it hit me so hard right now, but I really miss my mom right now. Actually, as I was sitting here last night, way too late reading blogs, it just hit me. I have the deepest ache in the innermost part of my heart right now for her. I miss her all the time but right now it's just really hurting. I don't know if there's a day that goes by that I don't think about her, some fleeting (or more than fleeting) thought or memory, but today I miss her so much!

Sometimes it makes me so sad that she didn't get to meet my girls, but it makes me even more sad that they didn't get to meet her. She was truly an angel on earth.

I wish I could call her and say, "Mom, you should have seen what my girls did today." I am so proud of my girls and I wish I could share their most special moments with my mom.

I wish I could call her and ask, "Mom, how did you make that candy that I took to school in fourth grade for our bake sale?" That candy was so good and I still remember the taste and feel of it in my mouth. I've wished many times I knew how to make it.

I wish I could ask her if she really hid the money in the spots so that we could 'find' it when we did an extra job without her asking us to do it. I remember finding money under the car seat every time I cleaned the car without her asking. I also remember finding money in the blue cupboard when I cleaned in there. I remember her telling me her mom did just that for them - she hid money so that they were rewarded when they did an extra job, and that when mom was grown her mom telling her that she had done that.

I wish I could tell her how much I appreciate all she taught me in life about cooking, baking, cleaning, sewing and everything else. And I wish I could call her when one of my girls is so excited to help me do something like make oatmeal.

I wish she was here to give me a hug. I wish she was here so I could give her a hug. I wish she was here so I could tell her, "I love you, Mom!"

I wish...oh, I wish a hundred things, a thousand things...I miss her!

She was the most wonderful mom and would have been an out of this world Grandma. I guess she is just that - an out of this world Grandma. She is Grandma Dorothy, an angel in heaven. She is my mom, and I miss her.

2 comments:

Darla said...

Amen! It just isn't all the way fair, is it!

Joni said...

I read this a few days ago, but didn't have a chance to write anything ... I guess Darla's reply was just right. I must admit I don't think of her every day, but I do miss her so much so often!